Scripture reveals God’s ongoing pursuit of sinners! The cast of God’s story brings people together from Genesis through the Revelation… from Adam and Eve to John and his Revelation. There is no way we can introduce all of God’s cast members. Today I want to introduce you to Simeon. Simeon wins the Oscar for best supporting actor in God’s movie, TELL ME A STORY! Of course, GOD is PROMINENT throughout the entire drama. Simeon, on the other hand, makes what might be called a cameo appearance. It’s brief, but it is important to God’s unfolding storyline!
- SIMEON’S PROFILE– 2:25-26
- Isaiah 40:1-2 Comfort ye, comfort ye my people, saith your God. 2 Speak ye comfortably to Jerusalem, and cry unto her, that her warfare is accomplished, that her iniquity is pardoned: for she hath received of the LORD’S hand double for all her sins.
- SIMEON’S PRAYER – 2:27-33
- Isaiah 49:6 And he said, It is a light thing that thou shouldest be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and to restore the preserved of Israel: I will also give thee for a light to the Gentiles, that thou mayest be my salvation unto the end of the earth.
- Isaiah 52:10 The LORD hath made bare his holy arm in the eyes of all the nations; and all the ends of the earth shall see the Salvation of our God.
- Galatians 4:4 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth His Son, made of a woman, made under the Law…
- SIMEON’S PROPHECY – 2:34-35
- Luke 2:34, 35 ~ Simeon prophesied that Jesus would have a paradoxical effect on Israel. Some would fall because of him (see Isaiah 8:14, 15), while others would rise (see Malachi 4:2). With Jesus, there would be no neutral ground: People would either joyfully accept him or totally reject him. As Jesus’ mother, Mary would be grieved by the widespread rejection he would face. This is the first note of sorrow in Luke’s Gospel. Life Application Study Bible